Because of our move from Austin to the Texas Hill Country, I didn’t participate in the Spring swap. It’s been so much fun getting back into making postcards. Here are the 10 that went into the mail today, plus one from earlier this year: #diypostcardswap
This was not part of the swap, but it’s the only other postcard I’ve made recently and it hasn’t been posted before.
Here it is placed on the wall of the studio, along with the first and second in the “cosmic” series, “Creation” and “Evolution.” (All are acrylic on masonite.) The first is dated 1979, the second 1980, so it took me an awfully long time to complete the cycle.
I’m excited to be getting back to art at all. Next I want to start making postcards again.
After four months of deciding to move, finding a place, selling the other place, moving, trying to settle into our new home…. I have a studio and I’ve finished a tiny bit of art!
This was a plain gray board with only the lettering on it. I bought it for a narrow space in our bathroom in the old house, with the intent of making it colorful, many months ago. The only thing I had done was the pale aqua wash. Turns out it doesn’t quite work in the space I had planned in the new house, but it’s still in the master bath, opposite the toilet, helping start my day on a bright and positive note.
Here is the before:
Chloe felt bad that I wasn’t doing much art, so yesterday she insisted we collaborate. She drew them in Sharpie, and I painted the middle one.
One of the best things about our new home is the studio space. Since I share it with a 10-year-old, it’s not very tidy, but there’s enough room for both of us and I have plenty of storage. (Chloe also has a drawing table in her room, but we keep messy work in the studio.)
Started last fall, this painting turned out to be tougher than I imaged from the original pastel sketch that inspired it:
And the holidays got in the way, followed by husband’s surgeries (three) and normal life with a 10-year-old granddaughter, who lives with us, and a dog, and all the other activities that keep me away from art.
The smaller one was also supposed to be a preliminary sketch, but I finished it after working out the color challenges on the large one. The color blending was difficult, especially at the boundary between yellow and violet, which (as I know from art school) are complimentary colors and, when mixed, turn neutral–beige.
The titles are homage to Carl Sagan.
The paintings are for sale. They are brighter than they photograph. Email me at email@example.com if interested.
Fall’s ihanna swap yielded only nine cards. The ninth, from Italy, took a very long time, so I’m still hopeful number 10 may come from some remote location like Fiji or Australia. Here are the nine:
Finally, an amazing little packet from California, tied up in a mesh bow:
Here are some of the cards I sent in the most recent iHanna swap.
I addition, I sent several that were variations on the Skybluepink poem in the last post, except that I used several photos of a real sunrise we had recently.
I’ll post images of the cards I receive after they’ve all arrived. So far I have two.
Only one painting again last week. Actually there was another, but it was a graduation gift (a 4×4-inch canvas, requested by the grad’s mom, so that the young woman will have a sort of “quilt” of small canvases to take to school). I neglected to shoot a picture of it, but it’s a lot like this one, and will be A.’s own private piece of art.
This is the first of a series of “B(l)oom” (A’s little painting is “B(l)oom” zero) the title being a play on “bloom” and “boom,” take your pick (or do both). The next will be on square canvas as I continue to explore my longtime love for explosive color.
Must get back to finishing some cards for the postcard swap that starts May 1.
I’ve been working on post cards for the iHanna swap in May, but sometimes I make one that I can’t bear to part with.
There is a tree outside a window that reflects beautiful leaf shadows and apricot light on our living room wall when the sun reaches it. I took a photo, then tried to render it in a way that captured the magic of that ephemeral light.
After it was finished, I decided to mat it and found the perfect yellow frame, so now it hangs on the wall near the spot where the actual light comes in. I used a vellum overlay, inking in the branches and filling in the color with water color. That is laid over another layer of water color underneath, which I think gives it more depth. The “happy accident” that happens in art is that the ink, which I thought was permanent, ran when I painted in the water color. It blurred the edges a little, just as they are in the photo, even though it was unintentional.
Here is the photo of the actual image.
Just one painting this week, but considering it was catch-up time after spring break travel, I’m pretty happy about it.
I’m working on post cards now, having signed up for the spring iHanna swap coming up in early May. I need 10 cards by the end of April, but I already have a couple in the works.